Importance of Water in our diet
One thing that can be inhibiting your weight loss is hydration. We need water to
- convert fat to glucose for energy
- for metabolic purposes
- for optimal performance
- body temperature regulation
Basically we need a lot of water!! If you aren’t drinking enough it can slow your weight loss process and decrease performance by 20%. We want to make sure we are just drinking water and not adding a tone of chemicals or artificial sweeteners.
8 Tips To Drinking More Water (Aim for 80+ ounces per day):
- Carry a water bottle around with you. You’re more likely to drink water if you have it handy.
- Get a big cup so you only have to fill it up 2-3 times per day to easily keep track of how much you are drinking. Or make sure you log it in a tool like MyFitnessPal. Alot of clients will say, “I drink enough.” and then we drill down and track how much they are drinking and it’s not nearly enough. You should be consuming 60 to 80 oz per day.
- Drink out of a straw. You tend to drink faster with a straw.
- Flavor your water with fresh fruit, cucumber, mint or lemon
- Drink a cup of water first thing in the morning when you wake up
- Drink water with every meal and snack
- Use the color of your urine as a hydration indicator (if it is bright yellow, you need to drink more water)
- Have water at your desk at work